SmartThings Privacy Notice
Last updated: January 1, 2020
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., along with our affiliates and subsidiaries (collectively, “Samsung”), respect your concerns about privacy. We created this Privacy Notice to make sure you understand how we collect and use your personal information in connection with SmartThings. This Privacy Notice does not apply to information collected by other apps, websites, or services provided by Samsung.
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
Through SmartThings, we may collect information about you in various ways.
Information You Provide Directly
• Your Account Information: SmartThings may collect your account information, which is necessary to initiate and provide the SmartThings service to you. This may include information such as your name, Samsung account ID, email address, mailing address and phone number, username, and password. Your account information will not only include the information that you enter in the SmartThings app to create a Samsung account, but also the account information in third-party service partners’ apps which you allow to access SmartThings.
Information About Your Use of SmartThings
• App, Appliance, and Device Usage Information: we may collect your usage information created during your use of the SmartThings app, such as app logs, groups, rules, and location names, and other configuration information. As SmartThings may consist of several sets of home appliances, sensors, SmartThings hubs, smart bulbs, home monitoring cameras, and other devices connected to SmartThings (“Home IoT Devices”), SmartThings may also collect usage information related to your Home IoT Devices, such as Home IoT Device model, name, group name or nickname, and location name assigned to the device, the network connection information and the surrounding network environment information, mobile country code, mobile network operator, OS version, IP address and IMEI, sensor and configuration data, error and malfunction logs, device identifier (e.g. ICCID), and the device’s and automation name. The main purpose of processing such information is to provide the service that you have requested. For example, when you use a motion sensor, SmartThings may collect the information detected by the sensor, such as logs which indicate the motion of a person who lives in your home, that the lights have been automatically turned, or to give you an alert if any unknown person trespasses in your home. SmartThings may also collect the usage/settings information of home appliances connected to SmartThings, if you turn on these features. For example, the temperature information inside your refrigerator, the time information which shows how long you have used the air conditioner for, and other information about the functions you have chosen will be collected not only to display the device/appliance status through your mobile app, but also to understand your use of Home IoT Devices and so that we can continue to improve the SmartThings service. In addition to the previous personal data, and only in cases in which you need specific technical assistance in the usage of SmartThings app or Home IoT Devices, we may collect your dump logs, which are files in which the technical errors of your devices are listed. These dump logs will only be used to provide you with the technical assistance you need and to improve the SmartThings app and Home IoT Devices.
• Video and Audio Clips Recorded by the Home Monitoring Camera: If you connect video or audio recording devices to SmartThings, SmartThings may collect the video or audio clips recorded by such device, based on your choices, to provide the service you request in the SmartThings app.
• Voice Information: If you connect Bixby Voice to SmartThings, information about your conversations with Bixby, including voice commands, may be collected to provide you with better feedback and to improve the service quality of Bixby Voice.
• Location Information: If you consent to the collection and use of location data, your geolocation data may be collected to provide advanced automation features, for example Sunrise/Sunset notifications, and to wake up your Home IoT devices automatically when you arrive at home. If you want is to stop processing your location information, you can turn off “Use location information” in the SmartThings settings.
• Smart TV Information: If you connect a Samsung Smart TV to SmartThings, information about the Smart TV content you purchase, including voucher or gift card numbers, and information that lets you set reminders and calendar notifications on your Smart TV may be collected.
We may also collect information about your Smart TV and other devices which you add to and connect with the SmartThings app and the SmartThings Hub, and your use of these devices in ways that we will describe to you at the time of collection or otherwise with your separate consent.
We do not knowingly or intentionally collect any sensitive personal data from you, but please note that we do not ensure that sensitive information may not be unintentionally shared with us while using the SmartThings app and other Home IoT Devices. If you submit information to SmartThings that is sensitive in nature, that may also be collected and processed for the purposes set out below.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR INFORMATION?
• to enable you to control your Home IoT Devices in the SmartThings app;
• to provide services or features you request in the SmartThings app;
• to respond to your requests and questions, and to communicate with you about SmartThings;
• to provide assistance when you request technical support for the SmartThings app or Home IoT Devices and other maintenance services;
• to provide you with remote maintenance service for errors related to Home IoT Devices connected to SmartThings if you contact a customer service center;
• to link your account information or otherwise interact with selected third party service partners’ apps, devices, features, and services;
• to operate, evaluate, and improve our business (including developing new products and services; enhancing and improving our products, services, and SmartThings; analyzing our products and services; aggregating and anonymizing data and performing data analytics; and performing accounting, auditing, and other internal functions);
• To provide customized recommendations related to Home IoT Devices and other useful services or features;
• if you turn on Customization Service in your Samsung account, to use data collected through the SmartThings app for the purposes herein. You can learn more about our Customization Service by going here;
• if you have a Samsung Smart TV, to (i) enable you to purchase Smart TV digital content, (ii) provide a history of purchased Smart TV digital content, (iii) let you set reminders for Smart TV digital content, and (iv) enable you to receive calendar notifications on your Samsung Smart TV;
• to comply with law and legal processes; and
• to protect the rights, property, or safety of Samsung, or any of our affiliates, business partners, or customers.
FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
UPDATES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
This Privacy Notice may be updated to let you know about changes in how we collect and process your personal information in SmartThings to reflect material changes in our information practices. The date when the document was last updated is shown at the top of this Privacy Notice.