Samsung SmartThings: U.S. Privacy Notice
Effective Date: February 26, 2018
We at Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (“Samsung”) respect your concerns about privacy. This U.S. Privacy Notice applies to the personal information we collect through the Samsung SmartThings products and services (formerly known as Samsung Connect), which include IoT plug-ins, devices and software (collectively, “Samsung SmartThings”). The Notice does not apply to information collected by other services, apps or websites provided by Samsung or its affiliated entities.
In this U.S. Privacy Notice, we describe the types of information collected through Samsung SmartThings, how we may use the information, with whom we may share it and the choices available to you regarding our use of the information. We also describe the measures we take to safeguard the information and tell you how to contact us about our privacy practices.
Click on one of the links below to jump to the listed section:
· Updates To This U.S. Privacy Notice
Through Samsung SmartThings, we may obtain information about you in various ways. The types of personal information we may obtain include:
· contact information, such as name, email address, mailing address and phone number;
· Samsung Account ID;
· username and password for participating third-party devices, apps, features or services;
· the precise geolocation of your device if you consent to the collection of this data;
· for users who connect video or audio recording devices to Samsung SmartThings (e.g., video cameras), the content of such video or audio recordings;
· for users who connect the Samsung Bixby voice assistant to Samsung SmartThings, the audio content obtained through Bixby;
· for users who connect Samsung Smart TV to Samsung SmartThings, information about the Smart TV content these users purchase, users’ Samsung or third-party digital calendars and user coupon or gift card number;
· for devices/appliances that are connected to Samsung SmartThings, device/appliance information, such as device/appliance model, name, group name and location name assigned to the device/appliance; settings; sensor and configuration data; error and malfunction logs; usage information; mobile country code; mobile network operator; OS version; IP address; IMEI or other device/appliance identifier; and device/appliance Automation Name and Configuration information.
We also may collect other information about you, your devices/appliances and apps, and your use of Samsung SmartThings in ways that we describe to you at the time of collection or otherwise with your consent.
How We Use The Information We Obtain
We may use the information we obtain through Samsung SmartThings:
· to provide the Samsung SmartThings services;
· to link your Samsung Account to connected third-party devices, apps, features or services;
· for Samsung Smart TV users, to (i) enable users to purchase Smart TV digital content, (ii) provide a history of purchased Smart TV digital content, (iii) enable users to set reminders for Smart TV digital content and (iv) enable users to receive calendar notifications on Samsung Smart TV;
· for users who enable Samsung’s Customization Service, data collected through Samsung SmartThings will be used for the purposes described in the Samsung Customization Service Privacy Notice;
· to respond to your requests and inquiries;
· to communicate with you about Samsung SmartThings;
· to provide a remote management service for errors or malfunctions associated with the Samsung home appliances connected to Samsung SmartThings;
· to provide you with notifications, content, alerts, offers, promotions, marketing information, communications and advertisements in connection with Samsung products and services;
· to operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products and services; enhancing and improving our products and services and Samsung SmartThings; managing our communications; analyzing our products and services, consumer base and Samsung SmartThings; aggregating and anonymizing data and performing data analytics; and performing accounting, auditing and other internal functions);
· to protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims and other liabilities; and
Through Samsung SmartThings, we may collect personal information about your online activities on connected devices over time and across third-party devices, apps and other online features and services.
We may share your personal information with our subsidiaries and affiliates and with service providers who perform services for us. We do not authorize our service providers to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or to comply with legal requirements. If you create a Samsung SmartThings Location Group, certain personal information you share with Samsung SmartThings, including your geolocation data, may be shared with members of your Location Group.
In addition, we may share personal information we collect through Samsung SmartThings at your request. Samsung, our subsidiaries and affiliates, and our third-party service providers also may disclose information about you (1) if we are required to do so by law or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena); (2) in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities; (3) to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights; (4) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical or other harm or financial loss; (5) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity; (6) in the event of a potential or actual sale or transfer of all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a merger, acquisition, joint venture, reorganization, divestiture, dissolution or liquidation); or (7) otherwise with your consent.
Notice To California Residents
Subject to certain limits under California law, California residents may ask us to provide them with (1) a list of certain categories of personal information we have disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year and (2) the identity of those third parties. To make this request, California residents may contact us as specified in the How To Contact Us section, below.
Links To Other Devices, Apps and Features
Samsung SmartThings may provide the ability to connect to other devices, apps and features. These devices, apps and features may operate independently from us and may have their own privacy notices or policies, which we strongly suggest you review. To the extent any linked device, app or feature is not owned or controlled by us, we are not responsible for its content, any use of the device, app or feature, or the privacy practices of the operator of the device, app or feature.
We offer you certain choices in connection with the personal information we obtain about you. To update your preferences, limit the communications you receive from us or submit a request, please contact us as specified in the How To Contact Us section of this U.S. Privacy Notice.
Please visit the settings on your Samsung Account for choices that may be available to you in connection with your use of Samsung SmartThings. Your Samsung Account offers choices related to sharing certain information with Samsung SmartThings and receiving certain marketing information and communications about products, services and promotions from Samsung. You also may update the personal information you share with Samsung SmartThings through the Samsung SmartThings settings, including your name, email address, account password or PIN number, user profile, device/appliance Automation Name and Configuration information, and location, group and device information.
If you have enabled the Customization Service on your device, you may at any time disable the Customization Service through the settings on your Samsung Account. If you do so, the Customization Service will not use your information to send you customized content and information. In addition, if you disable the “Customized Advertising and Direct Marketing” feature of the Customization Service, information collected and analyzed by the Customization Service may no longer be used to provide you with targeted advertising. Please note that if you decline to allow Samsung SmartThings to collect or share certain information, you may not be able to use all of the features available through Samsung SmartThings.
How We Protect Personal Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect personal information we obtain through Samsung SmartThings against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
Children’s Personal Information
Samsung SmartThings is designed for a general audience and is not directed to children. Samsung SmartThings does not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from children under the age of 13. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13, we will promptly delete that information. If you believe that a child under age 13 may have provided us with personal information, please contact us as specified in the How To Contact Us section of this U.S. Privacy Notice.
Updates To This U.S. Privacy Notice
This U.S. Privacy Notice may be updated periodically and without prior notice to you to reflect changes in our personal information practices with respect to Samsung SmartThings. We will post a notice on the Samsung SmartThings app to notify you of significant changes to this U.S. Privacy Notice and indicate at the top of this Notice when it was most recently updated.
How To Contact Us
To update your preferences, update or correct your information, submit a request or ask us questions about this U.S. Privacy Notice, please contact us online.